Thursday, October 10, 2013

Scents and smells

Mack is really good on walks. He walks a bit slower and lags behind sometimes, but having treats with you changes that in a hurry! This particular day, it was very warm and humid, but it was a morning walk, and we were on the short 15 minute route. However, two houses away from home, Mack decided he'd had enough and plopped down in the cool dewy grass for a break. Didn't have treats with me that day, I'm sure that would have greatly shortened the break!



We are working on "leave it"  on walks too. I let him (and  my own hound) stop and smell mailboxes, etc,  (checking their "pee-mail" ;) )but prefer that they not pee on the mailbox posts (there are plenty of other more acceptable things to pee on during our walks!) It's still a work-in-progress, especially when a new dog or other critter had recently crossed our path, but he's learning!

We have encountered large labs, golden-doodles, medium sized mixes and smaller dogs such a VERY friendly beagle and the neighbors off-leash little toy poodle (ugh). He greats all (dogs and humans) eagerly and friendly. The loose toy poodle did not approach very closely, but barked and danced around staying about 6 feet or so away. Mack was very intent in watching it, but when I asked for a "look" (part of clicker training) he would turn to me and make eye contact for treats. Pretty sure he would of chased the little bugger if he were off leash but was TRHILLED that I could pull his attention to me, even if it was only because of treats! We stayed there for a minute or so while I held Mack's attention, until the owner came and corralled the little dog. Wanted to take every advantage of that training experience!

Hmmmmm what does the breeze tell me today?
 
 
 Oh. Hi Mom!!

Out in the yard, more smells ... on the ground...

And in the wind....
 
Oh what could it be....!!??

Of course! I know!! I smell a putty-tat!!!


0 comments: